Fallout 4 Mod Installation Guide: How To Install Mods For Fallout 4 On PC
There are two ways to install mods on the PC version of Fallout 4.
Do you know how to use and Install Mods on the PC version of Fallout 4? If your answer is ‘No’ then this guide will explain the same in the simplest way possible. Before we explain how to install mods in Fallout 4, let me tell you that it quite simple but it becomes a lot easier as you proceed further.
There are two ways to install mods on the PC version of Fallout 4 – One is manually and the second one by using a program such as Nexus Mod Manager.
How to Install Mods For Fallout 4
Finding and downloading mods
- First and foremost thing is to find the desired mods that you wish to use with Fallout 4
- The most trusted site is Nexus Mods.
- Pick a mod like Lowered Weapons, and click on the “Files” tab.
- Click the “download manually” link.
- Save the file to your desktop or a Fallout 4 mods folder.
Extracting and installing mods
- Go to the folder where you downloaded the mods.
- Use a program like WinRAR to extract the downloaded files into a new folder.
- Use the “Extract to …” option ensuring that files don’t get damaged
- Make a new folder and copy the applicable files.
- Generally, you will want to copy the entire folder (Meshes in the Lowered Weapons example).
- Locate Fallout 4 install location, which is typically: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
- Paste the copied folder into Fallout 4’s “Data” folder.
- If it asks you to replace or merge files, hit “yes.”
Editing the .ini file
- Now, you will have to edit the .ini file to teach Fallout 4 to look for mods.
- Find the .ini file, which is typically: C:\Users\*USERNAME*\Documents\my games\Fallout4
- Right-click on Fallout4.ini and click on Edit option.
- Hit CTRL+F and search the file for this: “sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\”
- In the case of Lowered Weapons, add “, MESHES\” to the end of that line.
- It must now read: “sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, MESHES\”
- Go to File and Save As and replace the current .ini file.
- Notably, it would always be “, MESHES\” that you’ll need to add. It will change according to the name of the file that you add to Fallout 4’s Data folder.
Now, the only thing you need to do is to boot up the game and have fun. If you are still having any issue, do let us know in the comment section below.